Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Prove it.

Abigail
About a week and a half ago,  I wrote a post about my daughter Abby letting everyone but me see her walk. I went on and on about how it had been five days since she took a step, and it wasn't fair that I am the one that spends all my time with her, so I should get to see all her milestones first... blah blah blah. It was basically an all around whiney post. Well, Abby decided that it would be hilarious to start taking steps in front of me only a few hours after I I claimed she might not ever allow me to see her walk. I was so ecstatic to see her walk, but I couldn't help but  think "You just wanted to prove me wrong."
That really got me to thinking. I hope my kids keep proving me wrong.

I am a pretty pessimistic person, by nature. I am a glass half-empty kind of gal. I don't mean to be, and I don't like that that's how I generally see things. It's something I'm trying to change, but it's a long row to hoe. Thankfully, I have an amazing husband who balances me out perfectly. Shane is a total optimist and dreamer. It's one of the things I love most about him. I worry, he dreams big, and we usually end up somewhere in the middle.

Gideon
Jude
It's the same with our parenting. I worry about our kids constantly. Shane sees all the great things our kids are doing, and only worries when there is actually something to worry about. I tend to forget that our kids are much more capable than I think. This results in me being wrong. A lot.  I don't know why I doubt their abilities. It really isn't a reflection on them. It's a reflection on my own lack of confidence in my parenting. I see a shy boy, because I didn't find him enough social interaction as a baby. I see a boy who can't keep interest for very long in anything, and it must be my fault. Basically, my entire day consists of me worrying that I have broken my kids in one way or another.

 When someone asks the boys a question that I don't think they can answer, my first thought is "Oh great, let's just see how little my kids know and how I am failing as their first and most important educator." Then the amazing happens. One or all of my little ones prove me wrong on a regular basis. Gideon sits through an entire sporting event. Jude initiates a game with kids at church. Abby walks right in front of me!

Sometimes I'm going to need my three brilliant, beautiful, hilariously wonderful kids to prove me wrong. So far, they have done so with gusto. I hope that never changes.

Chyan


1 comment: