Wednesday, August 20, 2014

An up close look at my favorite people in the world.

 The other day, I got the idea to start a blog about my funny family. Like I said, this is not really a parenting blog, but it's a blog about the great stuff that happens while parenting. In my almost four years of being "Mommy", I have experienced some pretty hilarious, terrifying, and just all around bizarre  moments. Before I jump into any of those stories, I guess I should introduce those lovable monsters I call my family.


 Photo credit, Chrissy Frank
Shane on our wedding day
First, there's Shane. Shane and I will be married five years in December. He was my college crush, and since then he has become my best friend, my confidant, the love of my life, and my favorite person in the galaxy. He is funny (and I don't mean the regular kind of funny. He is literally the funniest person I have ever met. Saturday Night Live would be lucky to have him), sweet, smart, and has a huge heart for God and others. Shane works his butt off for our family, and then volunteers at church as an assistant pastor in charge of small groups. He is also an amazing dad stellar husband! I love our life together, and I couldn't imagine my life without him. Alright, that's enough of the mushy love stuff. Let's move on to the stars of show. 
Jude and his coach at football practice



Jude is our oldest son. He will be turning four in the early fall, and I just  can't believe it's been almost four years since he first looked at me with those big eyes and melted me into a pile of motherly ooze. Jude is my little introvert. Oh, don't get me wrong, he's a fun and silly little guy, but on his terms. Jude has to really observe you and know you well before giving out any kind of affection, which I can really respect and appreciate. He also never stops moving (which explains why it is so hard to get a picture of him). When he feels like showing it, he has some great athletic ability. Jude loves building with legos, and figuring things out on his own. Oh, he also wants everyone to know he likes the orange and he wants a Spider Man cake for his birthday. What? those things are important!

He's a photogenic little stinker
Next up is Gideon, or Giddy, if you will. Oh Gideon, I'm pretty sure this boy could sell an old cat to a dog lover with cat allergies. He is quite the charmer. Coming just twelve and a half months after Jude,   he had to prove that he was his own person. Giddy will snuggle the socks off you , if given the chance. He loves to make new friends everywhere he goes, and he is quick to entertain (the kid loves to dance for an audience)! Gideon also loves to try to run away from any form of structure. Literally, he runs away! Every time I  pick him up from the nursery at church, I hear "He was so sweet, and so cuddly with the smaller babies! However, he did try escaping about five times." Church is only an hour long, people.

Oh those cheeks!
Last but not least is my sweet baby girl! Abigail was born almost ten months ago, and she has stolen all of our hearts. When I was pregnant with Abby, I was certain I was having another boy. Imagine my excitement when the ultrasound proved me wrong! I never knew how badly I wanted a daughter until I held her for the first time.  Having two older brothers has made Abby one tough cookie! She can wrestle and climb with the best of them. More than once, I have screeched, "Boys! Be gentle with Abby! She's just a baby"while she just smiling and giggling away. She has a way better sense of humor about the boys rough housing with her than I do. Abby is an early talker, and I love hearing all the new words she is learning! Just this morning, she was crawling around saying "all done" in a cute little sing-song voice. All done with what, I have no clue.

For fear of this post being too sweet, I am going to share a silly story to end things.

A few weeks ago, Jude had a very important question to ask me. He has known "what boys have" for quite some time, so naturally he wanted to know "what girls have. " I almost died. I always thought I would handle a situation like this well, because anatomy is not something to be ashamed of or be considered taboo. Why did I freeze? I don't know.  I just kept thinking "be honest, but don't give more information than what he needs at this time".  Well instead, I said "Um... Well... they have... um..". Thankfully, he cut me off before I could make things worse. "Oh yeah! Belly buttons! That what girls have!" Stifling my laugh, I just responded with "Yup! That's exactly what girls have!"

Technically, I didn't lie. Girls DO have belly buttons! I realize I am going to have to better explain this later, but for now I think that was an alright answer from an alright mom.

Chyan

PS. I promise to get a better picture of Jude soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment