Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I'm thankful for: The friends you never seem to get rid of

I have never been the type of person to have a lot of close friends. Most people who know me understand that I am very private about my feelings, private struggles, and the tough, real stuff we all have to deal with in our lives. Sure, I am the first to share funny stories or weird experiences, but real stuff? Nope, not my style. This kind of personality has always made it easy for me to have a lot of friends, but these are friends I keep at a distance and the friendships have no  chance of lasting. Case in point, I only keep in touch with one friend from high school. (Shout out, to you, Jess!) We have been friends since the sixth grade, and she was the maid of honor at my wedding. We may not talk as much I would like, but I still consider her a very dear friend. I love and adore this woman, and she is one of the few people I ever felt truly comfortable around. Jessica, we need to catch up, soon.
Jessica, me, and Becky at my wedding. Love these women!

There are those few people I feel like I can share absolutely anything with. One is obviously my husband. Shane knows everything about me, and his friendship is why I fell in love with him in the first place.

The other friend that has been around seemingly forever is my amazing friend, Becky. Becky and I went to church and school together as teens. I was a lowly Freshman, and this awesome (and pretty crazy) Senior took me under her wing. She and I hung out at church events and would occasionally hang out at school, but we really didn't get close until college. I am fairly certain I was at Becky and her husband's place at east three times a week. Becky and I just get each other. We are very similar in a lot of ways, and I have always felt like I could be vulnerable with her.

When I was a Freshman in college, my  little sister got incredibly sick. It was very scary, because I kept getting updates from my mom, and she was just getting worse and worse. I was in school over 3,500 miles away from home, and I felt completely helpless. I broke down in front of Becky one day, and I told her how serious the situation really was. She let me sit on her couch and cry for probably a good hour. The next day, Becky told me that she and her husband had found a way to get me home for spring break (the next week), so I could see my sister. Naturally, I bawled for another hour. She acted like it was no big deal, because that's just the kind of person she is.

Becky was the first person I told when Shane told me he loved me and eventually wanted to marry me. She let out the weirdest squeal/ gasp/ throat noiseI ever heard, and told me to get over to her place so we could start online shopping for the perfect ring. five months later, we both left school and didn't see each other until my wedding another six months later. It was like no time had passed. We picked right up where we left off. I just saw Becky a few months ago (after four and a half long years of the occasional Skype conversation), and you would have thought we saw each other every day.

Becky is one of those people I know will always be my friend (mostly because she always has a "that's what she said" joke for me to laugh at), and I don't think I could get rid of her if I wanted to!

Chyan
PS. Are you happy now, Becky? A post basically all about you... Diva...

No comments:

Post a Comment