Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Simmer down, Bob

Okay, I just have to ask. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable watching Bob the Builder with their small children?

If you haven't seen this show, it's pretty self explanatory. Bob is a builder and he has lots of friends that are construction equipment. He is also friends with a scarecrow. Bob also has one very special friend named Wendy. Now, before I go any further, you should know Wendy is a human, so at least it's legal. Anyway, any time Bob and Wendy are in a scene together, there is some very clear flirting and there is some very palpable..ahem... tension.

Before you start thinking I am some sort of creep, I should inform you that I did a Google search, and I am certainly not the only parent who thinks that. It's pretty obvious that they have some feelings for each other that go deeper than just a work or friends relationship. My kids have just recently started watching Bob the Builder, so maybe I am missing something, but I don't think I am.One morning, I was getting ready in the other room so I could only hear it, and just the way Bob and Wendy were talking to each other made the tension so thick, I could cut it with a knife. "Oh, forget your birthday, Bob? Never!" 

Source: photobucket.com


Why do I share all of this? Because I think it's kind of icky. Bob is only on our t.v. on the rarest of occasion now, because the whole situation creeps me out. I just do not understand why a supposedly educational cartoon feels the need to "educate" my kids in the matter of unresolved feelings and romantic tension. Maybe I am just being ridiculous, but children's shows don't really need that whole "Sam and Diane, will they/ won't they" vibe. The show was originally British, so maybe these kind of relationships are a little more commonplace  on children's programming over there. I don't know



Anyone else get the hee-bee jee-bees fro this relationship? Any other children's cartoons out there that strike you as just a little weird?

Chyan

2 comments:

  1. And why was Handy Manny nervous to ask Kelly to the Valentine party? I appreciate the "get to know her better" interest but why can't he model outgoing social skills. Or at least just use it as an opportunity to talk about feeling shy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you! Shyness is a much more appropriate feeling to discuss. Fear of rejection from a possible love interest is not something my children need to be concerned about quite yet

      Delete