Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Jumping on the thankfulness band wagon

I don't know if you've seen it, (it's almost as popular as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, so I don't know how you could have missed it) but many people on Facebook are doing something called a Thankful Challenge. Basically, you write three things you are thankful for every day for five days, or something like that. I have to admit, I usually just scroll past those posts to get to the cute pictures and funny videos. I know, I know, I'm a monster.

Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea if I posted something I was thankful for on my blog every day for the rest of the week. Some posts will be sweet, others will be more practical, and hopefully all will be at least a little entertaining. Since I didn't post a thankful post yesterday, I will post two short ones in this entry.

Here we go:

Thankfulness Day One: The obvious one. My Family.
There are four people on this earth that I would literally do anything for. Shane, Jude, Gideon, and Abigail are the people in my life I am most thankful  for. I thank God every day for giving me such special people to hang out with all the time. I  have absolutely no idea what I would do without Shane. He really is the greatest husband and friend on the planet. If you don't agree with me, I will physically fight you. I'm not even kidding.  My kids have changed me so much, and most days, it's for the better. I am obsessed with my loving, hilarious, beautiful, exhausting, insane family. I wouldn't trade them for the world.


Thankfulness Day Two: Social Media
I know what you're thinking. It's not just because I love funny videos. Shane is from Florida, and I am from Oregon. It is physically impossible to live near both our families. We have, at different times lived near, or nearish, his family and my family. Right now, we are so happy to live near my family, but there is a huge gaping hole in our hearts for Shane's side of the family. I am one of the few lucky ones that actually get along with my in-laws, so not only do I miss them for Shane and the kids' sake, but for my own sake as well.

The amazing family I joined (well, most of them), and a very pregnant me.

That is why I love social media. We can stay in touch with each other easily. My Facebook profile is always full of posts about the kids, so my in-laws can see and hear how Jude, Gideon, and Abby are changing, growing and making us laugh. It is also great for my little ones, because they never get a chance to "forget" who their amazing family is. Do you remember doing that as a kid? You might not see a certain family member for a few months, and you just can't quite place who they are? I refuse to let that happen. Every time Jude and Gideon see pictures or Skype with Shane's side of the family, they know exactly who they are looking at. Speaking of which, we really need another Skype date!

Even though social media is nowhere near as good as the real thing, I am still very thankful it exists!

Chyan


2 comments:

  1. We use Facebook for the same reason! I have family that lives in Washington, Wisconsin, Florida, and Tenessee and I don't have any idea how we'd keep them all updated without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing how involved we can be, even when we are miles from family. I can't imagine what life would be like without social media... sad, I know

      Delete