Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The One With The Friends Title

Have you heard about the Friends 20th Anniversary Tribute?

Well, you may or may not know that the iconic t.v. show Friends started twenty years ago. As a tribute, a pop-up Central Perk (where Ross, Rachel, Joey, Phoebe, Monica and Chandler spent most of their time) will be open in downtown Manhattan from September 17th through October 18th. From the pictures released online, it looks pretty legit. Complete with Gunther (the ever-present barista), and the famous orange couch, hard-core fans can go and experience the iconic coffee shop for themselves. Now, I like Friends as much as the next twenty-something, but I am not about to fly out to New York on my dime to see this place. However, for the truest of fan, this might feel like going back and reliving a really special moment.
Image Credit: Erik Matey/Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc
This got me to thinking, if I could go back and relive a moment from my life, what would I choose? I can say, with almost 100% certainty, that I would choose the day Shane proposed to me.

Fasten your seat belts, it's mushy-lovey-dovey  story time:

It was January 2009. Shane and I had only been dating since September, but we both knew we were in love.  We had already had that whole "I could see myself marrying you" conversation. On Wednesday, Shane called my Dad for permission to marry me, and then he said he wanted to take me on a date Thursday night. I was so excited! I already knew we were going to look at rings in the city nearest our small Canadian college town, and I already knew the ring I wanted. What? I did a lot of online ring shopping. 

Well, we got to jewelry store, and I think I only tried on one ring. It was the one I had been eyeing on the website. The saleslady could see I loved it. As beautiful as the ring was online, it looked even better on my nineteen year old finger! Being the smart saleswoman she was, she made Shane feel like he needed to buy it right that second... right in front of the woman he planned on proposing to! Not sure exactly how to handle the situation, Shane bought the ring and suggested we shop around the mall a little before we go out to dinner. We went to a couple stores, out to dinner, to a movie (I was really distracted by the ring in Shane's pocket, so I still can't tell you much about what Benjamin Button was about... he was an old man/ baby?), and then we just drove back to campus! He kissed me goodnight and that was it! 

I went back to my dorm and told my roommate, Kaylan, that he bought the ring right in front of me, showed it to me a couple times throughout the night, and then put it away and didn't talk about it. We talked through every scenario, and decided that he would probably propose to me in a really special way that weekend. The next day, I had a really hard time focusing in class. I barely saw Shane that whole day. It seemed like he was avoiding me. I was sure he had changed his mind. I wasn't sure if I was more sad or angry at the idea of Shane getting cold feet. Thankfully, I heard from my friend that his friend said Shane wanted to wait until Spring Break to propose to me. Well, that wouldn't be to bad. I could wait two months, right? Ugh. Two months is an eternity. 

In the late afternoon, Shane had someone deliver a beautiful bouquet of dark red roses to my room. Half an hour or so later, my friend, Krista, came running into the hall screaming that my other friend had burned herself in the kitchen upstairs and needed my help. I ran to my room and got my roommate (the only person with a car) and told her to come with me, just in case my friend needed to go to the hospital. We ran upstairs and my friend Nicole was standing there with a cool paper towel wrapped around her hand. She said it was really bad and she wanted me to go with her to the hospital. We hurried out of the hallway, and into the upstairs lobby. When I pushed the door open, I saw all of my and Shane's friends standing in a circle, watching me. Apparently, Shane had enlisted those three friends to get me to come upstairs, so he could surprise me with the cutest proposal ever. All that spring break talk and being standoffish was just his way of throwing me off the trail. 

I walked into the lobby and I was led to chair in the middle of the circle. Shane had formed a quartet and he led them in singing "Grow old with you" (the song from the end of The Wedding Singer) to me. After the song was over, he dropped down on one knee and asked me to marry him. You can see the proposal, and the dumb faces I make, here: 

If that doesn't work for you, you can copy and paste this link: 
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=45238192885&l=3065338254377336479

It is by far my favorite proposal I have ever seen, and if I could relive one special moment, it would this.

Chyan

No comments:

Post a Comment